Saturday, August 4, 2012

Stop Breaking YouTube


What is this crap? Why did YouTube make the thumbnails for my subscription area bigger? Now I can see even less of what I actually want to see. They've been doing this for years now, slowly taking away more and more features and making the site harder to navigate. I want to do one thing when I'm on YouTube: watch videos. But for some reason they don't want me doing that.

This new layout has been nothing but problems. Half the videos you're subscribed to don't even show up! I don't want to watch "featured" or "trending" videos, I want to watch what I want to watch. What I told YouTube I want to watch. All I want is simplicity.

Does anyone remember when there was a "new uploads" box where it showed videos from the channels you were subscribed to? Whenever you watched a video from that box, it would disappear. They even made it so you could click an x and remove the video yourself if you didn't want to watch it. Now not only can you see much less of your subscribed uploads, but the videos you have watched grey out with a little "watched" there to taunt you. It's like the site is laughing at you, showing you how much of your life you've wasted away scrolling through this huge list it's putting there. I just want that one feature back, the new uploads box. They can keep the rest of their new crap, I'll still be happy.

If they're going to add something new though, how about a "stupidest comment" highlight. It would have to update every 5 minutes or so because of the speed at which stupidity is spewed onto the comment box. Maybe even add a new voting button where you rate how stupid the comment is. That would be a fun little time waster.

Anyway, I just want them to fix YouTube. Ranting helps, but it still doesn't get rid of the problem. Tomorrow I want to see everyone trending with the hashtag #fixyoutube. (And I don't even twitter). Actually, just post that in the comments section of this post. That'll make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside :3

-Zombie Viking

1 comment: